Senior Project Manager – Municipal Services
Help set the future course for Municipal Services in Iowa!
Privately held and employee-owned, HR Green is honored to be one of the nation’s longest operating engineering firms. Our Iowa Transportation and Municipal Design Teams continue to grow and develop at a high rate. We are currently seeking an experienced Senior Project Manager to join our team in the Cedar Rapids Office
This position is responsible for working as the consulting municipal engineer for strategically important clients, positioning, winning and delivering significant infrastructure projects for new and existing clients. This position leads a team in project delivery and has influence of the overall direction of his/her region and area of expertise.
Qualified candidates must possess a proven track record for building client relationships, winning work, and delivering quality projects on time and on budget. This is a key position within our firm, and additional opportunities such as ownership and additional leadership roles may also be available.
Get the conversation started by applying today.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Generally acts as Client Service Manager for one or more strategically important clients.
- Interacts with senior-level client stakeholders including local, state and national political decision makers. The Senior PM consistently demonstrates the attributes of a Trusted Advisor by providing expertise and value to clients beyond the technical execution of project deliverables.
- Anticipates client needs and meets the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers.
- Recommends additional business solutions to meet a client’s current and/or future needs.
- Develops market assessments and supports company leadership in the development and execution of market strategy.
- Leads the project pursuit process, and acts as the Pursuit Lead for significant revenue streams.
- Leads the proposal development and interview preparation phases to ensure the company is well-positioned to win key projects. Coordinates the creation of proposal/pursuit information with business line and marketing staff.
- In cooperation with other PMs/Client Service Managers, meets or exceeds region specific sales targets by leveraging existing client relationships. Utilizes targeted marketing efforts to identify, position and acquire new clients on behalf of the company
- Generally responsible for creating meaningful revenue streams (between $750,000 to $2M annually) for the organization.
- Manages or serves in an advisor role on highly specialized, complex, and/or strategic projects. Projects managed are of sufficient complexity and scope that the Senior PM will likely work with task leaders to ensure projects are coordinated and effectively executed.
- Proactively anticipates project issues and shows the ability to navigate complex client, political or technical issues to mitigate the impact on project delivery staff.
- Leads the development of scope, fee and contract to ensure understanding of project deliverables with client staff.
- Builds and manages the Project Plan that includes phases, tasks, timelines, contingencies and description of critical paths. Ensures plan is updated to facilitate companywide workload planning processes.
- Oversees the technical direction and manages resources to meet or exceed the budget and schedule.
- Conducts kickoff and regular project meetings where the schedule, project plan, and client expectations are regularly discussed to ensure delivery stays on track to meet client expectations.
- Initiates changes in scope, addendums and change orders necessary to ensure financial performance of projects under management.
- Directs and reviews the work of junior staff, and ensures that the firm’s quality control and quality assurance processes are followed.
- May provide individual technical contribution to the project under management.
- Generally, manages annual revenue in excess of $750,000 to $2M
- Identifies the time and resources needed to deliver the project and builds an effective team.
- Manages projects by assigning tasks and closely monitoring progress against task budget and schedule. Holds team members accountable for achieving the desired result on a project.
- Leads Project Team Meetings and distributes meeting minutes to team members and the client as appropriate.
- Resolves conflicts by ensuring they are addressed immediately and in the appropriate manner. Uses interpersonal skills to diffuse issues between team members
- Provides budgetary management/oversight.
- Reviews and analyzes financial reports.
- Monitors and resolves such issues as scope creep, cost overruns, additional work, and delays.
- Ensures the client is billed according to the contract schedule.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) in related engineering or related science discipline.
- Professionally registered (P.E.) in Iowa
- PMI Certification in Project Management is beneficial
- Minimum 10 years of progressive experience in the civil engineering field. Five years minimum as a Project Manager or similar role at a local agency engineering/public works division or private sector engineering firm.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience working directly with municipal clients to include:
- Municipal representation
- Acting as a point of contact and leader of multi-discipline teams
- Meeting facilitation and public presentation delivery
- Delivery of roadway, stormwater, & municipal utilities projects
- Right-of-Way acquisition process
- Ordinance and plan review
- Grant applications and funding
- Five years as a Project Manager on projects which individually are worth at least $200,000 in design value and collectively result in revenue managed of at least $750,000 per year.
- Extensive knowledge of the Cedar Rapids regional municipal market
- Ability to sell work to existing clients with demonstrated experience pursuing and winning work in excess of $750,000 annually.
- Has completed projects across multiple disciplines (roadway, traffic operations, multi-modal, water/sewer, storm water, structures, ROW acquisition, etc.).
- Has an industry reputation such that s/he is well known in the consulting community for strong project management skills. Sits on one or more industry committees.
- Has excellent communication skills, previous supervisory /management experience and outstanding conflict resolution skills.
- Has an excellent network of teaming partners.