Bridges + Structures
We provide planning, design and construction engineering services for bridge replacements and repairs and sound and retaining walls.
Our engineers have experience in providing bridge inspection, planning, preliminary engineering design, final design, and construction support services.
We offer a full range of new bridge and bridge rehabilitation design services: from simple culvert extensions and noise and retaining walls, to bridge load analysis, deck replacement, bridge widening and new river or railroad crossings. HR Green’s services have provided for structures that complement a larger engagement such as corridor development and gateway features and standalone structures that include vehicle and pedestrian facilities.
We also perform bridge safety inspections. The work includes an update of the existing Bridge Inspection Databases and the completion of the structure information system Routine Inspection Forms, Special Feature Inspection Forms and Underwater Inspection forms. We are also responsible for a summary, describing bridges in need of repairs, the scope of repairs needed, and a budget estimate of repair costs.
- Our Bridge & Structural Design Services
- New Highway, Railroad, and Airport structure design
- Bridge concept studies (clearances and costs)
- Replacement bridge design
- Aesthetic elements for new bridge construction
- Structural design of culverts (pipes and concrete box culverts)
- Retaining walls (including stabilized earth, bin wall systems, sheet pile, soldier pile, segmental block, and conventional cast-in-place concrete walls)
- Structural design of junction boxes and other drainage structures
- Pump Station structures
- Foundations for sign structures, light poles, and noise abatement walls
- Pedestrian and Bicycle overpasses and tunnels
- Bridge repair plans – deck repairs, substructure repairs, steel repairs, and collision damage repairs
- Temporary earth retention design
- Bridge and culvert load ratings
- Routine NBIS Bridge Inspections
- Bridge Inspection Program Management, including repair priorities
- Element Level Bridge Inspection
- Bridge Condition Report Inspection, cost analysis of repair and reuse versus replacement of the entire structure and portions of the structure.
- Sidewalk vault inspections
Bridges + Structures Experience
Anderson Road Extension
The Anderson Road Extension is a two-lane (expandable to four-lanes in the future) roadway that will link Illinois Route 38 to Keslinger Road.
I-29 Sioux City Corridor Reconstruction
Sioux City, IA
The I-29 reconstruction project will improve safety, traffic operations and infrastructure conditions, and provide for enhanced driver expectancy.
Grand Parkway Toll Road
Harris County, TX
HR Green was responsible for the design of this urban toll road with frontage roads, including roadway, storm sewers, cross culverts, retaining walls, traffic control, cross street intersection, and SWPPP design.
Route 109 Widening and Roundabout
HR Green designed this federally funded project that widened Route 109 from 2-lanes to 4-lanes, added two multi-lane roundabouts, and two trail grade separation structures.
Southwest Connector Interchange (Veterans Parkway) and Corridor Location Study
Warren County, IA
HR Green, Inc. led the consultant team that prepared Interchange and Corridor Location Study documentation, including supporting technical reports for goals and objectives, multimodal needs, travel demand forecasts, preliminary environmental screening analysis, and an alternatives analysis.
Highway X99 Oakville Bridge
Louisa County, IA
Following the Iowa River flooding in 2008, Louisa County applied for Economic Development funding for a new crossing over the Iowa River on County Road X99.
Jane Addams I-90 Bridge Widening
HR Green was hired to provide Phase III construction management services for the widening and reconstruction of the I-90 Eastbound and Westbound bridges over Mosquito Creek, Coon Creek and US Route 20.
Sam Houston Tollway
Harris County, Texas
For 25 years HR Green has been a part of the design, construction and reconstruction of the Beltway 8 / Sam Houston Tollway system.
New Road to Economic Growth
Sioux Falls, SD
The City of Sioux Falls, South Dakota invested $11.1 million to stay ahead of the growth demand with proactive transportation improvements on its 69th Street and Southeastern Avenue project. The City experienced rapid growth and increased demand on a collateral arterial roadway, 57th Street, which resulted in many typical challenges such as increased congestion, roadway deterioration, traffic safety concerns, roadway capacity deficiencies, and delay caused by at-grade rail crossings.
Sullivan Road Bridge over the Fox River
The Sullivan Road Bridge is only the second new bridge built in Kane County since the early 1970s. The bridge is a major crossing over the Fox River, connecting Illinois Route 25 on the east side of the river to Illinois Route 31 on the west side of the river.
Sioux City Outer Drive Extension
Sioux City, IA
The Outer Drive Extension Project has been called Sioux City’s most complex transportation project to date. HR Green was selected by the City of Sioux City to assist the City in planning, fund procurement, NEPA environmental documentation, design, construction and observation for this $30+ million project.