Hudson Broadband Analysis Provides Alternative Approaches
- Local Governments
- Public Utilities
- Fiber + Broadband
- Hudson, Colorado
The Town of Hudson completed an “Introductory Broadband Analysis Report” detailing a summary of broadband projects, certain definitions, options, and case studies. Based on this report the Town Council unanimously agreed to move forward with the next steps for a potential broadband project for the community.
The Town’s goals include:
- For Town Council and the community to be able to make an informed, conclusive decision on if/how the Town should participate in bringing modern internet infrastructure to the entire community.
- To be able to competitively seek grant funding from multiple sources to offset some or even most costs associated with the project.
- To provide those residing within the Town of Hudson the quality of life they deserve.
Town Council selected HR Green to complete a broadband analysis that provides citizens, Council, and staff the ability to understand the different approaches to broadband specific to Hudson. The Hudson broadband analysis included:
Creating a preliminary network design and cost estimates, which included:
- Conceptual Design: a robust, reliable, and cost-effective design that enables the implementation of Hudson broadband services
- System Level Overview: an analysis of existing infrastructure, conceptual design of high-level maps and routing, candidate specifications, and a system-level overview of the potential infrastructure which in turn became a road map for financial analysis and business modeling, and for future decisions, and;
- Cost Estimate: a cost estimate and supporting documentation for network deployment and interconnection, inclusive of anticipated construction labor, materials, engineering, permitting, quality control, and testing.
Conducting a financial analysis that outlined operational attributes and processes including policies, staffing levels, maintenance agreements, and other considerations.
Evaluating funding alternatives that included the identification of options for fund development and exploring the ability of the Town to leverage federal, state, and regional grants and programs.
Evaluating potential partnerships with service providers whose vision and business models complement the desired outcomes of the community.
Preparing an Executive Summary that included the findings and recommendations that create the greatest opportunity and value to implement a network that is capable of meeting current and long-term community needs.
Facilitating a strategic direction workshop with decision-makers to present the Executive Summary and to work on coming up with a solution that meets the Town’s interests and goals.