Marion Road Widening
The Marion Road Improvement project was a roadway widening and reconstruction project in Sioux Falls, South Dakota. Marion Road, from approximately Berkshire Boulevard to 39th Street, had deteriorated and was handling more traffic than it was designed to handle.
The existing infrastructure within the corridor was deteriorated and needed replacement. Additional capacity in the form of a continuous center turn lane along with two through lanes in each direction was designed as the new roadway section.
“One of the biggest challenges of this project was maintaining head to head traffic during all phases of the project, which was accomplished,” said Project Manager Craig Lauritzen.
HR Green performed design, organized and led public involvement, and provided construction services for this project with design work completed in March 2012 and construction completed in November, 2013.
Additional project elements include:
- Storm sewer adjustments to accommodate the improved roadway section
- Sanitary sewer repairs
- 16-inch water main
- Street lighting
- Traffic innerduct and conduit installation for future traffic signal system at 32nd Street
- Addition of turn lanes at select intersections
- Evaluation of access locations
- Evaluation and alternative layout of existing frontage road
- Sidewalk on both sides of the roadway
- H-plats and temporary and permanent easements