Staff Engineer I/II – Transportation Focus
This is a great opportunity for a Transportation Engineer with zero to two years of experience to work with a dynamic team on complex transportation projects related to highway/roadway design. You will be working side-by-side with a team of knowledgeable engineers and professionals in an environment that fosters collaboration and career development. If you are looking to work with a company that will provide mentorship, technical guidance and camaraderie keep reading to learn more about this exciting opportunity!
Who is HR Green?
HR Green is honored to be one of the nation’s longest operating engineering firms. For more than 100 years, HR Green has been dedicated to our clients’ success. Whether we are providing civil engineering services, innovative management solutions to timely challenges, or overseeing the construction of a high profile improvement, the projects we undertake with our clients connect and shape communities, drive redevelopment and sustainability goals, and improve processes for consistent value.
What will you be doing?
- Working as part of a team as well as independently in learning, evaluating, and applying engineering principles, standards, and criteria.
- Assist in the plan and design of transportation projects including highway, roadway and intersections as well as storm water management and drainage design
- Assist in the development of complete roadway plan sets, specifications and reports
- Conducts field visits as necessary for various projects
- Communicate effectively and coordinate with project team members including but not limited to CAD designers and other engineers.
What are we looking for?
- A candidate with a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree from an accredited four-year or graduate engineering university in relevant discipline.
- A candidate with zero to two years of relevant engineering experience.
- A candidate with proficient knowledge of office software (Word, Excel, etc.).
- A candidate with knowledge and familiarity in AutoCad and Microstation preferred, knowledge and familiarity with Geopak or OpenRoads is a plus
Why join HR Green?
- It’s your chance to join one of the country’s longest operating engineering firms and a leader in design engineering and construction with over 500 employees in 15 offices around the nation
- We offer an excellent compensation and benefits package that includes: medical, dental, vision, life insurance, PTO, 401(k) with company matching, long term disability and short term disability
- We also offer tuition reimbursement, professional license & registration reimbursement, professional development, paid time off to volunteer
Must possess strong technical verbal and writing skills. Must be able to read and interpret technical literature and engineering plans.
Must be capable of correctly operating technical analysis equipment and computer equipment after being provided training. Must possess analytical and problem solving skills, and be able to apply engineering knowledge toward solving assigned tasks and engineering activities. Must be willing to develop competence in field inspection issues including daily progress documentation, measurement of quantities, quality assurance and contractor relationships.
EXTENT OF AUTHORITY
Works cooperatively with other Staff Engineers, Planners, and Scientists, and CADD Technicians. May communicate with clients on a limited basis as directed/authorized by the Project Manager, and communicates with subcontractors on specific technical and/or non-technical issues, but is not authorized to make commitments on behalf of the company related to fee, project tasks or project schedules without approval of supervisor. Provides input to senior staff on project issues based on the results of analytical results, calculations, field observations and research. Responsible for completion of tasks, reports, and plans, but is not authorized to sign/seal completed plans as an authorized representative of the company.
RELATIONSHIP TO OTHERS
The position reports directly to the designated Group Manager with the day-to-day direction of Project Engineers, Project Managers or other staff for assigned projects. Works to quickly and accurately solve assigned tasks, but is expected to seek guidance from senior engineering staff for non-standard and non-routine issues. Has limited contact with external clients unless assigned to do so by a project manager or other senior engineering staff. Cooperates with CADD and Field Technicians in the completion of assigned tasks.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES
Must have received, or receive within six months of hire, a valid E.I.T. license. The employee must be capable of driving/operating a motor vehicle for company business, and maintain a valid driver’s license in the state of residence.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
Work is primarily performed in a standard office setting. Field assignments may be required. While performing work in an office environment, the position requires the use of office equipment. Equipment includes, but is not limited to, computer, telephone, fax machine, copier, printer, etc. The noise level in the office is moderate. While performing the duties of this job, employee is regularly required to stand, sit, talk and hear. Must frequently orally convey detailed or important information, instructions or ideas intelligently, accurately and quickly. Able to hear average or normal conversations and receive information. Average, ordinary visual acuity necessary to prepare or inspect documents or see computer screen.
While executing the duties of this job, the employee is required to: stand, bend, sit, kneel, lift, reach and move about quickly and safely in construction projects and business office work locations. Read handwritten, typed or machine generated text, graphical and statistical material without aides other than eyeglasses and/or contact lenses.
While performing field assignments, the employee is required to work in extreme weather conditions (heat, cold, snow, rain) for extended periods of time and stand for 8 to 12 hours per day. Exposure to extreme heat and humidity working outdoors; temperature swings from indoor air-conditioning to outdoors, extreme noise and dust from construction equipment and hand tools at sites; mechanical and radiation hazards at industrial and construction sites; electrical hazards of electrical wiring; explosive hazards; fumes and odors of gases and exhaust; dust of environment; toxic chemicals and waste. This work requires standing on uneven terrain. Employees must also be able to and lift and move a minimum of 30 lbs., Hand eye coordination is necessary to operate computers and other office equipment as required. The employee is also required to kneel, crouch, and bend and to operate the full range of equipment that is typically required of this job class without special aides.
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.