Project Engineer – Structural / Bridges
HR Green, Inc. is a professional services firm providing workable and sustainable solutions in the Transportation, Water, Energy, Governmental Services, and Land Development markets. With over 100 years of history and a strong focus on future growth, HR Green is looking for exceptional individuals ready to begin the next stage of their professional journey. We are currently seeking a Project Engineer to support theTransportation Structures/Bridge group in our Des Moines, IA office.
This Project Engineer contributes to assigned transportation structures/bridge design projects and performs bridge inspection duties as needed. In addition, this individual acts as an authorized agent of the company and is responsible for the delivery of technically sound products that meet internal and external client expectations, on time and on/under budget. The Project Engineer makes significant design decisions with limited input by the Project Manager for assigned projects. These engineers assist with marketing and business development work and may act as Project Manager for assigned projects.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- As an individual contributor, uses professional judgment to direct and independently complete assigned engineering designs.
- Actively assists the Project Manager, or acts as project manager, and assigns tasks and schedules to Staff Engineer (I/II), Project Engineer and non-exempt project team members, answers questions, and monitors progress.
- Checks the accuracy (formal and informal QA/QC) of assigned tasks completed by other engineering and technical staff.
- Makes major design decisions that meet the needs of external customers while coordinating the impact of such decisions on related project efforts.
- Pro-actively identifies technical, schedule or financial issues and seeks resolution from the Project Manager and/or the client, as appropriate to the situation.
- Assists the Client in bidding or contractor selection if authorized by the Project Manager.
- Responds to contractor questions and issues and prepares and issues project addenda as needed.
- Recommends and prepares change orders.
- Participates in the creation of engineering services proposals, including the calculation/estimation of time schedules and costs of the proposed work.
- Signs and seals engineering documents as an authorized representative of the company.
- Independently communicates on technical matters with the client.
- Acts as technical expert on assigned projects when operating as an individual contributor, and acts as Project Manager on smaller scope or specialty projects as assigned.
Education and/or Experience
- Must have a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in civil engineering. A Master’s degree with a structural emphasis is preferred.
- Must possess 5-8 years of transportation structure/bridge design experience and a demonstrated ability to act as an authorized agent of the company to sign engineering documents.
- Microstation skills are a plus.
Certificates, Licenses, and Registrations
- Must hold current Professional Engineer (P.E.) certification or have the ability to obtain such registration within six (6) months of employment.
- A current SE license or the ability to obtain such licensure within twelve months (12) of employment is highly desired.
- The employee must be capable of driving/operating a motor vehicle for company business, and maintain a valid driver’s license in the state of residence.
Must possess strong technical verbal and technical writing skills, and be able to read technical literature and engineering plans.
Must be capable of correctly operating technical analysis equipment and computer equipment. Must possess strong analytical and problem solving skills, and be able to apply professional knowledge to the solution of both routine and non-routine tasks and engineering activities.
Relationship to Others
This position may report to the Operations Manager or Practice Leader. Responsible for providing mentoring to less-experienced staff members in order to upgrade the overall talent level in the company and shows a willingness to help others meet critical deadlines.
Engineering design work is primarily performed in the office with occasional trips to a client’s site or other locations as needed. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit for prolonged period of time, stand, walk, talk, hear, and reach with hands or arms. Hand eye coordination is necessary to operate computers and other office equipment. The employee is also required to kneel, crouch, and bend. Must be capable of carrying up to 30 pounds of equipment over all types of terrain and in all types of weather conditions.
While performing the bridge inspector duties of this job, the employee is required to work in extreme weather conditions (heat, cold, snow, rain) for extended periods of time and stand for 8 to 12 hours per day. This work requires standing on uneven terrain. Employees must also be able to and lift and move a minimum of 30 lbs. (concrete cylinders), sit, walk, talk, hear, and reach with hands or arms. Hand eye coordination is necessary to operate computers and other office equipment as required. The employee is also required to kneel, crouch, and bend.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V