Project Engineer – Water/Wastewater
Privately held and employee-owned, HR Green is honored to be one of the nation’s longest operating engineering firms. As we continue to be one of the leading Engineering firms in Iowa our needs to add talented people continue to evolve as well. We are currently seeking a Project Engineer to join the well established Water/Wastewater group in the Cedar Rapids, IA Headquarters.
In this position, your focus will be on working on all aspects of water/wastewater projects as we have multiple projects ranging from Sewer Modeling to Water Plant design. You will have the opportunity to learn from a strong group of Project Manager and Lead Engineers to help facilitate your growth and allow you to move into the next phase of your career. You will have the chance to spread your wings and grow!
Are you a recent licensed PE with a strong technical background in Water/Wastewater? Are you looking to accelerate your growth at the PE level with larger projects and bigger impact? If so, let’s talk! Get the conversation started by applying today.
Our comprehensive benefits program covers what you need: health/dental/vision insurance, 401K with company match, Paid Time Off, AND what you want: Educational Assistance, annual paid volunteering time, work- life balance scheduling options, and fitness program reimbursements. Professional development is woven into the fabric of HR Green as we offer flexible career path options, in-house training programs, and incentives for professional registrations and public speaking .
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V
Please read below for full Job Description
The Project Engineer acts as an authorized agent of the company and is responsible for delivering technically sound products that meet and exceed the needs of clients. Makes significant design decisions in cooperation with Project Managers on assigned projects, where applicable. May be responsible for assisting with marketing, business development, project management and client communication on a limited and assigned basis.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Uses professional judgment to independently complete engineering tasks within federal, state and local established criteria.
- Under the direction of the Project Manager, assigns and manages tasks and schedules to Staff Engineer (I/II) and non-exempt project team members.
- Ensures the accuracy of completed tasks through the use of established HR Green QA/QC processes established for each project.
- Completes major design tasks that meet the needs of internal and external customers.
- Monitors and pro-actively identifies or corrects technical, schedule or financial issues through effective communication with the Project Manager or other management staff.
- Assists the Client in bidding or contractor selection if authorized by the Project Manager.
- Monitors construction and supervises field personnel assigned to a task, data collection or a specific project.
- Responds to contractor questions and issues and prepares and issues project addenda as needed.
- Recommends and prepares change orders, if authorized by the Project Manager.
- May participate in preparation of engineering services proposals, including the calculation/estimation of time schedules and costs of the proposed work.
- Signs and seals engineering documents as an authorized representative of the company.
- Independently communicates on technical matters with the client.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Must have a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in engineering, and be professionally registered (P.E.) in one or more states in which HR Green, Inc. conducts business (or have the ability to obtain such registration within six months of employment). Must have received authorization from the Sector Leader (based on the Team Leaders assessment and recommendation) to act as an authorized agent of the company to sign engineering documents. Must have 4 years of design/engineering experience. Must have advanced knowledge of office automation, CADD and engineering automation tools.
Must possess strong technical verbal and technical writing skills, and be able to read technical literature and engineering plans.
Must be capable of correctly operating technical analysis equipment and computer equipment. Must possess strong analytical and problem solving skills, and be able to apply professional knowledge to the solution of both routine and non-routine tasks and engineering activities.
EXTENT OF AUTHORITY
Acts as an authorized agent of the company and signs engineering documents.
RELATIONSHIP TO OTHERS
This position may report to assigned Group Manager or Practice Leader. Responsible for providing mentoring to less-experienced staff members in order to upgrade the overall talent level in the company and shows a willingness to help others meet critical deadlines.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES
Must hold current registered Professional Engineer certification in his/her state of residence or have the ability to obtain such registration within six months of employment. The employee must be capable of driving/operating a motor vehicle for company business, and maintain a valid driver’s license in the state of residence.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
Work is performed primarily in an office environment, requiring the use of office equipment. Equipment includes, but is not limited to, computer, telephone, fax machine, copier, printer, etc. The noise level in the office is moderate. While performing the duties of this job, employee is regularly required to stand, sit, talk and hear. Must frequently orally convey detailed or important information, instructions or ideas intelligently, accurately and quickly. Able to hear and understand average or normal conversations. Average, ordinary visual acuity necessary to prepare or inspect documents, products or see computer screen.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.